Why this blog? Why Me? Why now?

Recently, after a series of particularly stressful events, I had a day that was full of tiny moments that all seemed designed to push me towards God. As I've never been a regular churchgoer and certainly not a believer, this came as a bit of a shock. I have never felt that I was missing anything, but it was too strong of a feeling to ignore. It is possible that in a month or week or day that the compulsion will pass. It is also possible that it will not.

I started this blog to document the process. I am starting from scratch, more or less, so please forgive me if I get some fact about your church or your faith wrong. I'm a work in progress.

Friday, May 11, 2012

7 Quick Takes, vol 3


--- 1 ---
I have been remiss on this blog. Life has been so busy lately (with what I'm not sure) and it seems that I haven't had time to give this the attention I feel it deserves. I'm sure that says something about me, but that's deeper than I want to get into in a Quick Take.

--- 2 ---
One of the things we did recently to stay busy was go out of town. I was invited on a work trip with my husband and my beautiful sister-in-law (the best Catholic I know) volunteered to keep my kids for four days so I could go. My sister-in-law does not have children of her own.

--- 3 ---
The first thing she did, on the first day she was here, was take them to church. It did not go well.

--- 4 ---
We did not go to church this week.  I typically work every Saturday night until 11pm or later. Then my husband usually works the next morning, which leaves us with 8am mass. And it's not a good excuse, but it's just so hard to get us all up and out the door for that. *insert whine*

--- 5 ---
Did you read this absolutely terrific post on motherhood at Mama Needs Coffee? I'm sure you did, but I have to share it. I saved it to read again.

--- 6 ---
And contrast that with this post at Dooce about living with a three year old. For us, three has been a million times harder than two, with both boys. The girl isn't yet two, but we'll see how that shakes out. (If you don't read Dooce, there is a lot of Language. You've been warned.)

--- 7 ---
Last, this weekend is Mother's Day. I hope all the Mothers out there get treated like royalty. May you be as happy as a girl with a yard full of butterflies. And a Popsicle.

May 4. She found a bush full of flyflies! (butterflies)

Quick Takes is being hosted here this week, stop by to join the fun.

4 comments:

  1. I love Dooce even if she irritates me at times. I've been reading for YEARS and Marlo was due a week before the original due date for my son. (He was supposed to be a Father's Day baby and was born during Holy Week instead. Why yes, that is an 11 week difference.) It's interesting to watch Marlo's development and compare it with my son.


    And I understand the difficulty in getting to church. It's hard for me and I only have one. :) 8 a.m. is also early for Mass. The only thing I can suggest is to do things like lay clothes out the night before and find something easy for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link to the Mama Needs Coffee post. Great stuff.

    So glad you're joining us in 7QT! It's nice to "meet" you and to discover your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about 8am Mass. We have only one (well, now two, but we haven't been to Mass all as a family yet since he's so new), and we can get everyone out the door in time, but we can't get the Little Miss fed. So we're that couple that lets their child eat cheerios in the pew. Mea culpa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I resisted taking snacks, until I read in the bulletin to please just not bring raisins. Then I realized all the other parents of toddlers had snacks and I didn't feel bad at all!

      Delete